We are improving the way patients receive appointment letters from Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
You now have the option to receive and view your appointment details through our new Outpatient Portal, an online appointment information system, where you can confirm or rebook an appointment instantly.
Please note: in light of the impact Covid-19 has had on postal services, we strongly encourage patients to use the Outpatient Portal to avoid possible delays in receiving appointment letters by post.
Watch this video to see how it works:
Benefits of the Outpatient Portal
There are many benefits to this new system for patients:
- Appointment letters will be sent via text so there's no need to wait for them to arrive by post
- The text message will include a secure link, alongside a unique four-digit PIN, which will provide instant access to the Outpatient Portal holding your appointment details
- You can confirm or rebook an appointment with just one click
- The Outpatient Portal can be accessed using a smartphone, tablet or desktop
- If you don't own a smartphone, you can still log onto the portal by copying the link in the text message to a web browser
- The portal updates in real-time, meaning that if you reschedule or cancel your appointment, someone else could be seen sooner, helping reduce non-attendance and waiting times
- You can add your appointment to your device calendar to get reminders
- Your digital appointment letter and clinic information can be translated or listened to in multiple languages.
The Outpatient Portal is a quick and easy way to check and/or change your outpatient appointment without having to wait in a phone queue. However, if you do not wish to use this service, you do not have to tell us, and you will continue to receive your appointment letters by post.
How it works
- You will receive a text reminder to your smartphone with your appointment details
- Simply click the link in the text message to take you through to the Outpatient Portal.
- When you enter the Outpatient Portal, put in your/the patient's date of birth (adult or child) and the unique four-digit PIN from the text message
- This will take you to the appointment details page, where you will be able to see the appointment date, as well as hospital and clinic information.
- Select one of the two options presented on the page: confirm or rebook
- Confirming your appointment will let you add the appointment to your own calendar and send you a reminder nearer the time
- If you can't attend the date specified in the letter, you can choose to rebook your appointment. If you select this option, we will call you to arrange another date.
If you are having trouble using the Outpatient Portal, please contact the relevant department directly on one of the numbers below:
Royal Brompton Hospital:
- Appointments booking team - 0330 128 8011
- Pacing - 020 7351 8647
- Echo - 020 7351 8209
- Lung function - 020 7351 8910
- Nuclear medicine - 020 7351 8666
- CT scan - 020 7351 8220
- Appointments booking team - 01895 828 696
- Pacing - 01895 828 553
- Echo - 01895 828 586
- Sleep study appointments/CPAP collection appointments/service appointment bookings - 01895 826 510
- Lung function/CPAP technical/machine problems/replacement parts/masks - 01895 828 589
- Nuclear medicine - 01895 826 514
- X-ray / CT scan / MRI / ultrasound - 01895 828 582
- ECG - 01895 823 737 ext 5410
- Paediatric outpatients - 01895 828 573
- Transplant outpatients - 01895 828 663
- Woodlands pre-admission unit - 01895 828 827
- Pulmonary rehabilitation - 01895 828 851
Q: What happens if I still prefer to receive appointment letters by post?
A: You don't have to do a thing, and you'll continue to receive paper appointment letters by post.
Q: Can I opt out of the service at any time?
A: Yes, just call the relevant department on its numbers above, or speak to our reception staff, and they'll update your communication preferences.
Q: Can I still receive appointment letters by post as well as accessing them through the Outpatient Portal?
A: Once you've signed into the portal, you won't receive a paper copy of your appointment letter by post, but you will be able to download, email, or print a copy from your device.
Q: What happens if I choose the 'rebook' option for my appointment?
A: You will be given the option to reschedule your appointment for another date. Please be aware that there may be a large gap between your old and new appointment.
Q: What if I don't own a smartphone?
A: You will still receive a text message with a link to your appointment letter, which you can type into a web browser or search engine on your desktop or tablet to access the Outpatient Portal.
Q: Will I be able to use the same link and 4-digit PIN to access all of my appointments?
A: No. You will be sent a new link and 4-digit PIN for each one of your appointments at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Q: Will I get a single text message for all of my appointments, including any tests I may have on the day?
A: At this time, you will get a text message for each appointment that is held in different departments. We're working to coordinate communications for all appointments that are held on the same day.
Q: Who do I contact if I experience any issues with the portal?
Please contact the appointments booking team on 0330 128 8011 (Royal Brompton Hospital) or 01895 828 696 (Harefield Hospital).