The acute respiratory failure (ARF) consortium includes pulmonary hypertension, transplantation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) and ex-vivo lung perfusion.
ARF has an incidence of approximately 80 in every 100,000 people, with around 4,000 patients per year in the intensive care unit.
Research into acute respiratory failure
Current research is focusing on:
- prevention and treatment of acute lung injury
- ex-vivo lung perfusion in research and practice related to lung transplantation
- the pathogenesis and management of pulmonary arterial hypertension
- developing a novel triple filter to mitigate the effect of haemolysis
- management of ICU acquired weakness.