The Heart Rhythm Centre (HRC) at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals is one of the largest facilities of its kind in the UK. It is a national and international tertiary referral centre providing highly specialised care for patients with arrhythmias.
We are part of the largest heart and lung centre in the UK and one of the largest in Europe. Our unit provides care delivered by leading experts, in the latest facilities at two convenient locations – Royal Brompton Hospital in Chelsea, West London and Harefield Hospital near Uxbridge.
The centre treats outpatients and inpatients with different types of arrhythmia. We work closely with our paediatric cardiology department to provide seamless patient care from childhood to adulthood.
We have a dedicated team of specialist consultants, clinical nurse specialists, an arrhythmia pharmacist and catheter laboratory technicians. Find out more about the arrhythmia team.
Inpatients and outpatients
Our teams specialise in treating patients with cardiac and lung conditions. Our teams specialise in treating patients with cardiac and lung conditions. Treatment takes place in the context of a wider cardiology and cardiothoracic facility with expertise in non-invasive investigative procedures and highly specialised support services. Specialist echocardiography, cardiac physiology, cardiac CT & MRI are an integrated part of this service and are available on site.
The centre has designated inpatient facilities, with specific provision on Paul Wood and York wards for arrhythmia patients at Royal Brompton Hospital, and in the Medical Care Unit at Harefield Hospital.
Outpatient clinics for patients take place at both sites. We also have one of the UK’s largest follow-up services for patients with implantable devices.
The centre uses advanced technology to treat patients with complex arrhythmias, with high success rates, working closely with the paediatric cardiology, adult congenital heart disease and cardiac transplant units to provide a specialist arrhythmia service.
Our facilities include:
- three purpose-built cardiac electrophysiology labs equipped with state-of-the-art technology, including advanced 3-D mapping and navigation systems, to understand the cause, establish diagnosis and determine treatment of arrythmias
- a dedicated invasive laboratory that uses magnetic navigation (stereotaxis) technology, a pioneering procedure that uses two powerful magnetic fields to move a soft catheter inside the patient’s bodies with great precision and minimal risk.
- one of the largest device implantation services in the country, including for pacemakers, ICDs and devices for cardiac resynchronisation (CRT). We are one of the national leaders in CRT therapy and were involved in the early development of this increasingly important therapy.
We have specialist expertise in device therapy for patients with congenital and/or paediatric heart disease. We also provide a regional device extraction service using state-of-the-art laser therapy.
The arrythmia team is made up of specialist cardiology and electrophysiology consultants, clinical nurse specialists, an arrhythmia pharmacist and catheter laboratory technicians.
- Dr Zhong Chen, consultant cardiologist, Harefield, Ashford and St Peters Hospitals
- Dr Jonathan Clague, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton Hospital
- Dr Andrew Cox, consultant cardiologist, Harefield Hospital, Wexham Park and Frimley Park Hospitals
- Prof Sabine Ernst, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton Hospital
- Dr John Foran, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton and St Helier Hospitals
- Dr Shouvik Haldar, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals
- Dr Wajid Hussain, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals
- Dr Julian Jarman, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals
- Dr David Jones, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals
- Dr Vias Markides, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton Hospital, Lister Hospital
- Dr Mark Norman, consultant cardiologist, Harefield and Frimley Park Hospitals
- Dr Tushar Salukhe, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton Hospital, Northwick Park Hospital
- Dr Jan Till, consultant paediatric electrophysiologist, Royal Brompton Hospital
- Prof Tom Wong, consultant cardiologist, Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals, Wexham Park Hospital, Ealing Hospital
- Dr Leonie Wong, consultant paediatric electrophysiologist, Royal Brompton Hospital
Clinical nurse specialists
Beatrice Moloce, Royal Brompton Hospital
Harriet Fisher, Royal Brompton Hospital
Sue King, Harefield Hospital
Sally Deane, Harefield Hospital
- Carol Hayes
Find out more about our arrhythmia nursing team.
The Heart Rhythm Centre, in collaboration with the National Heart & Lung Institute (NHLI), Imperial College, is a major research facility for arrhythmia. As part of Guys and St Thomas’ Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, we also have a close relationship with King's College London.
The service provides national and international specialised training for electrophysiologists at all levels of training.
01895 828 979
Royal Brompton Hospital
0207 351 8364
Email (for healthcare professionals): firstname.lastname@example.org
Email (for patients): email@example.com
Arrhythmia Alliance – a coalition of charities, patient groups and healthcare professionals working together to improve the diagnosis, treatment and quality of life for those affected by arrythmias.