Dr Julian Jarman studied medicine at Cambridge University (MB BS, MA), St Mary’s Hospital at Imperial College London, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, USA. He undertook specialist fellowship training in interventional cardiac electrophysiology and complex pacing at several leading London teaching hospitals.
He developed novel techniques for ablation of atrial fibrillation using non-contact mapping as part of his post-graduate doctorate of medicine (MD) at the National Heart & Lung Institute.
Dr Jarman is a consultant cardiologist for arrhythmia and devices at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals. He has Membership of the Royal College of Physicians (MRCP) status, and certification in the examination of invasive cardiac electrophysiology, cardiac pacing and ICDs from the European Heart Rhythm Association.
Areas of expertise
Dr Jarman is a consultant cardiologist for arrhythmia and devices at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals, and his clinical expertise includes:
- atrial fibrillation (AF)
- other heart rhythm disturbances
- complex ablation therapy
- device implantation (pacemakers, defibrillators and biventricular pacemakers).
Dr Jarman's research interests include:
- studying the factors determining the outcome of AF ablation
- assessing the latest interventional technologies such as contact force sensing catheters to improve the safety of AF ablation
- totally subcutaneous defibrillators.
Dr Julian Jarman is an honorary clinical senior lecturer in clinical cardiology at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London, where he regularly teaches advanced interventional techniques to visiting foreign fellows and consultants.
Dr Jarman has received a number of awards throughout his career, including:
- Innovator of the Year, Imperial College
- Young Investigator of the Year, British Cardiovascular Society
- Young Trainee of the Year, Royal Society of Medicine
- President’s Medal, Royal Society of Medicine
- Lucienne Dreyfus Award, European Cardiac Arrhythmia Society.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team.