We are delighted to announce the launch of Round 3 of the Charity-funded research fellowships, which is open for submissions until Monday 14 June 2021.
Royal Brompton & Harefield Clinical Group is committed to supporting the training and development of staff at our hospitals so they can carry out pioneering and world-class research into heart and lung diseases.
A partnership between the Research Office and the Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals Charity, the RBHH Charity-funded Fellowship programme was first launched in 2019 and is now in its third year. It awards pre- and post-doctoral healthcare professionals with up to £50,000 in funding, allowing them to conduct research for one year in order to develop their research skills and produce data to win further funding.
Click on the drop down menu below to find out more.
Download the application form and guidance document at the links below.
Please send the completed form to email@example.com as a PDF file by midnight on Monday 14 June 2021. In the subject of the email please include your name and the text “Charity Fellowship”.
Non-medical charity-funded fellowships application form (downloadable link)
Non-medical charity-funded fellowship guidance document (downloadable link)
Previously unsuccessful applicants are welcome to apply but their re-applications must fully address previously received panel feedback.
- must be employed at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals Clinical Group at time of application
- projects must be sponsored by the Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals Clinical Group (part of Guy’s and Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust).
- must be working as non-medical professional
- must not have previously been awarded this fellowship
- must have their applications costed by the research development team
- can apply at either pre- or post-doctorate level
- must plan to undertake research that will benefit patients and/or staff at RBHH
- should demonstrate how they intend to use the fellowship to apply for further research funding
- must ensure their proposed research project does not involve animals
- must have approval and sign off from their line manager
- must be a UK resident
Submissions received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Applications open: 6 April 2021
Costing requests to the research development team: 1 June 2021
Applications close: 14 June 2021 (midnight)
Funding outcome notification: late September 2021
Projects must start before 31st December 2021. Please note that HRA and ethics approvals (where required) must be obtained before your start date.
A £150,000 fund is available to support applicants who can apply for a maximum of £50,000 per submission. Only 1 submission per applicant is permissible.
Funding can be used to cover anything required to fulfil the project, including salaries, consumables, equipment, publication fees, conference fees, and patient and public involvement (PPI).
All applicants must discuss their costings with the Research Development team by 1 June 2021 (details below under Contact section).
Applicants are advised that the Research Office will not be involved in discussions regarding back-filling of job posts.
The judging panel will be made up of Charity and RBHH staff and will include clinicians, lay advisors (patients), and senior researchers.
The proposals will be judged based on several key factors including (but not limited to);
- Expected patient benefit
- Study design and methodology
- Scientific advancement
- Likelihood of applicant pursuing further funding and training
- Value for money
- Level of support from applicant’s department
- Benefits to RBHH
All successful applicants are required to present their research proposal to the relevant research Lay Advisory Group (cardiovascular or respiratory) within 6 months of their award.
Successful applicants will also be required to provide regular updates to the Charity on the progress of their research.
You must notify the Research Office of any changes to your circumstances and/or employment during the fellowship.
For more information on the application process, please contact:
For costing support: Laura Henderson, Research Development Manager
For patient and public involvement (PPI) support: Zahra Aden, Research Development Associate
*Please ensure you contact the team regarding costs by 1 June 2021 at the latest.