Social work

Social services and welfare rights department

Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust social services department is available to Trust patients and facilitates a safe and timely discharge back into the community. This includes work around care packages, care home placements, and providing assistance and advice to those with accommodation or benefit needs.

Social workers at our hospitals

The social workers at Royal Brompton are employed by the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea whereas the social workers at Harefield Hospital are directly employed by the NHS.


All adult referrals should originate through ward staff via fax to 02073518061. Section 2 is the first referral stage (notification of services needed- at least 48 hrs pre-discharge) followed by Section 5 (notification of imminent discharge- at least 24 hrs pre-discharge).

These referrals are then screened and disbursed through to the hospital-based team or / and through to the local social services for the out-of-borough referrals.

The team

The social workers at Royal Brompton Hospital are employed by the Royal Borough of Kensington & Chelsea whereas the social workers at Harefield Hospital are directly employed by the NHS.

Royal Brompton Hospital

Social Work & Welfare Department,
Royal Brompton Hospital,
Fulham Wing,
Mezzanine Floor,

020 7351 8060 Ext. 4736

Harefield Hospital

Social Work & Welfare Department Rehabilitation & Therapies
Harefield Hospital
Hill End Road

01895 823 737 Ext. 5259
Fax: 01895 828 819

Social services where you live

Though we have social workers at both our hospitals most of the support you receive will come via your own local authority. 

If you would like to know more about local services in your community, you should contact your local authority. If you are unsure which is your local authority you can check using your postcode on the Directgov website

The reception/helpdesk is the first line of contact for general social services information.

Useful links

For any benefit and other welfare-related queries please see the following websites: