All dietitians at the Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust have a recognised degree in nutrition and dietetics and are registered with the Health Professions Council.
Dietitians work with patients to advise on matters relating to nutrition. They translate nutritional science into practical advice in order to help patients make appropriate diet and lifestyle choices.
Our dietitians specialise in treating nutritional problems associated with heart and lung disease. The role of nutrition in the treatment of heart and lung disease is constantly changing. We ensure that our advice reflects the most recent authoritative research and published policies.
- Food allergy - for both adult and paediatric patients as well as outpatient clinics.
- Adult cardiology and cardiac surgery - including transplants, VADs and critical care.
- Adult respiratory - including cystic fibrosis and critical care.
- Paediatrics - respiratory including cystic fibrosis, cardiology, cardiac surgery and paediatric intensive care.
- Give advice to inpatients that have been newly diagnosed with diabetes
- Hold a monthly general outpatient clinic
- Hold various health promotion activities during the year
- Train student dietitians
The nutrition and dietetics department has very strong links with the award-winning catering team at the Trust.
Information for patients
Nursing or other medical staff can refer patients to our dietitians for assessment. Patients are also assessed to see if they are nutritionally at risk when they are admitted to our hospitals.
The majority of patients do not require individual dietary advice. Patients will see a dietitian if they:
- Are at risk of malnutrition
- Have a food allergy or intolerance
- Have swallowing difficulties
- Have just been diagnosed with diabetes
British Nutrition Foundation - Healthy eating information, resources for schools, news items and recipes.
Food Standards Agency - The Eatwell website from the Food Standards Agency offers advice for consumers on food safety.
Weight Wise – Advice on losing weight in a healthy manner from The British Dietetic Association.
Diabetes UK - The UK's largest organisation for people with diabetes.
British Heart Foundation - General information on heart conditions, including dietary advice.
Cystic Fibrosis Trust - National charity dedicated to all aspects of cystic fibrosis, the site includes some nutrition information for sufferers.
Little Hearts Matter - Charity for children with a diagnosis of a single ventricle heart condition. The 'lifestyle' section includes some nutrition advice.