The Simulated interPRofessional Team Training (SPRinT) programme is a training programme that uses simulation to train the multidisciplinary team involved in patient care.
The Simulated interPRofessional Team Training (SPRinT) programme uses simulation to train the multidisciplinary team involved in patient care.
The aim of the programme is to improve patient safety by improving human performance. We look at human factors and team performance while rehearsing management of rarely occurring critical events.
The SPRinT team regularly trains Trust staff using simulation in the real clinical areas where they work, using real equipment and resources to make them as true to life as possible. This helps to identify areas that could potentially pose a risk to real patients.
The SPRinT team also offers courses to non-Trust staff who would like to learn how to set up a simulation training programme in their own workplace.
SPRinT is based on the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Benefits of in-situ simulation training
- It provides training in real clinical areas
- It promotes insight into human factors for improved patient care and safety
- It provides strategic crisis resource management training for improved team and individual performance
- Identify latent threats to improve patient safety
- improve teamwork and crisis resource management
Experts in simulation
The SPRinT faculty have undergone training in facilitation and debriefing, both nationally and internationally. This includes Boston Children’s Hospital / Harvard Medical School graduate and postgraduate training. New faculty are introduced through structured training and mentoring.
The team is actively involved in the following educational committees:
- Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health
- Paediatric Intensive Care Society
- International Paediatric Simulation Society
- Association for Simulated Practice in Healthcare (ASPiH)
Our programme has been recognised with national awards for education and training in patient safety. Our awards include:
- Simulation and Technology-enhanced Learning Initiative (STeLI) Excellence Innovation Awards - 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Health Service Journal Patient Safety Award 2015
The SPRinT team are world leaders in simulation training.
Phone: +44 (0)20 7352 8121 ext 82758
Fax: +44 (0)20 7351 8758