Victoria ward treats and cares for patients with acute and chronic respiratory conditions. We specialise in all aspects of respiratory conditions including complex asthma, infection, interstitial lung disease, neuro muscular disorders and sleep studies. Our high dependency unit is available for patients requiring closer monitoring for conditions including intensive nasal ventilation and complex airway management.
We have the largest home ventilation support programme in the UK, with our outreach community team supporting patients and their families in their homes, rehabilitation or residential care environments.
We are one of the largest centers in the UK for the study and treatment of sleep-disordered breathing. We have three, comfortable rooms where patients stay overnight while their sleeping patterns are monitored, one of which is suitable for a disabled patient. Each room has a shower and automated room temperature to suit each patients' requirements.
A carer can be assigned to stay with you in your room on a put-up bed overnight, if required.
You can read more about a patient's sleep study experience here.
Visiting the ward
Victoria ward is located on level 2 in Fulham Wing, on Fulham Road as a part of Royal Brompton Hospital. If you visit the main reception of Royal Brompton Hospital, our staff will direct you to the ward.
As you exit the lifts, Victoria ward's reception is to your right. It is important you present yourself to the ward clerk's desk, as they will let the nurse or doctor in charge know you are here.
Your nurse or doctor will show you around the ward and your room, while discussing the details of your nursing care and any planned medical procedures with you. Your welcome pack will be on your bedside table in your room, which contains useful information for you to read about your time on the ward, including services you can use during your stay.
Visitors can come to the ward during the hours of 9:30am to 8pm, Monday to Sunday.
Between 12:30pm and 1:30pm, Monday to Sunday, there is a protected rest period for patients. Visitors are requested not to visit during this hour.
Visiting high dependency unit patients
Visitors may be restricted from visiting this unit, at the nurses' discretion.
Victoria ward supports early discharge times at 11am, Monday to Sunday. This is so patients near or far have an opportunity for earlier treatment and a reduced length of their stay in hospital.
About the ward
We have a total of 25 beds on the ward, which includes five high dependency unit beds. Victoria ward is a mixed-sex ward caring for both men and women, with single-sex rooms, washing and toilet facilities.
The high dependency unit is a mixed-sex unit due to our doctors and nurses' need for continuous observation of patients during their stay.
- Kitchen/communal eating area equipped with amenities for patients and their visitors to use
- Sitting room/discharge area equipped with books, board games, a television and DVD player
- Activity box for cognitive impaired / dementia patients
- Vending machine, located in the communal eating area
- Multi-denominational prayer / contemplation room (Quiet room)
- Patient sleep study room
- Two purpose-built bathroom and toilet facilities for disabled patients, both on the ward and in the patient sleep study room
- Walk-in bath facility.
- Breakfast 7:45am
- Lunch 1pm
- Supper 6pm.
We have many menu options, which caters for all cultural and nutritional needs.
If you have any special dietary needs, please let your nurse know as soon as you arrive at the hospital.
Who you will meet on the ward
Members of the team that you may come into contact with includes:
- clinical nurse specialists
- occupational therapists
- social workers
- welfare benefits officers
- respiratory support technicians
- health psychologists.
Please ask your nurse if you would like to meet with any of the above.
- Singing for breathing - Tuesday's at 11:00am, located in the quiet room
- Cough therapy group - Thursday's at 11:00am, located in the patient sitting room
- Chaplaincy services - available for all religious communities, including weekly Sunday mass located in the quiet room
- Exercise gym room - available for all patients to use to increase their fitness levels with support and guidance from our physiotherapy specialists
- Arts and crafts - every few weeks, usually on Thursday's, located in the patient sitting room
- Activities held by volunteers - available for all patients, when available, usually on Tuesday's
- Get up, get dressed, get moving - available for all patients to participate in the PJ paralysis campaign, run by the Trust
- John's campaign - supports carer's to remain involved in their patient's care, including rehabilitation and after-care
- Reflexology - available for all patients, held once a month when available
- Hoisting aids and other equipment - available for all patients that require assistance
- Specialised call pads - available for patients who cannot use the nurse call bell system
- Professional live music - when available, live music is played on the ward, which is facilitated by our hospital charity team.
Tasmin Fernandes, available Monday to Friday.
Victoria ward, Level 2, Fulham wing, Royal Brompton Hospital, SW3 6NP
020 7351 8067.