The team on the lung and heart day unit (LHDU) cares for patients who are undergoing treatment or a procedure that allows them to be admitted to and discharged from the hospital the same day.
We treat patients with a wide range of lung and cardiac conditions across a number of specialties. Our experienced, multidisciplinary team offers a range of interventions and treatments, including:
- Diagnostic tests
- Specialist nurse consultations
- Specialist consultant reviews
- Support and interventions from our team of physiotherapists, dieticians, psychologists and palliative care nurses
- Intravenous treatment and monitoring (including home IV therapy)
- Asthma biologic therapies
- Home monitoring services, including remote video and telephone consultations
- Patient education and support, such as advice on how to manage your long-term condition.
Opening times: Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm
The unit is located at the Fulham Road wing of Royal Brompton Hospital. Our appointment times are flexible, and patients can choose from morning or afternoon slots, to support work and caring commitments.
The unit has 28 single en suite rooms and is divided into two sides - 'east' and 'west'. Each side has a dedicated nursing team for patients.
While you are in our care, we will ask you to wear a surgical mask, for example upon entering the day unit, while on the unit, when moving around. We will provide you with masks and you can ask anytime if you would like a fresh mask. Depending on the situation, you will see members of staff wearing appropriate personal protective equipment.
- You should arrive to the hospital with a face covering on and keep it on as you move through the hospital. Hand sanitiser gel will be available as you enter the hospital
- When you arrive, somebody will ask you a few questions to check if you have any Covid-19 symptoms
- You should maintain a two-metre distance, unless it is not possible, for example when having a test, treatment or procedure
- A patient co-ordinator will take you to your room on the lung and heart day unit, and will discuss your planned tests, procedure or treatment, and answer any questions you have.
Find out more about what to expect when you arrive at the hospital and what we are doing to keep you safe.
Eating and drinking
A member of your healthcare time will let you know if you can eat or drink before your treatment or procedure.
Hot drinks are available during the day and we also provide lunch, which typically includes a selection of sandwiches. Please notify us of any specific dietary needs.
Facilities available on the unit
There is a television in each room, but we advise that you also bring a book/phone/tablet with charger as there may be waiting periods between tests and treatments. We appreciate your patience during this time.
After your treatment or procedure
After your treatment or procedure, you will need to rest on the unit for a period of time, while we monitor your recovery.
Before you are discharged we will give you information about your aftercare and any follow-up appointments you may need. If you require a further appointment on the day unit, your medical team will arrange this for you before you leave the unit. In some circumstances we may be unable to organise your next appointment on the day and we will instead notify you by text or post.
You should not expect to stay in the hospital overnight. However, if your healthcare team feels you need to be monitored for a longer period of time, they will discuss this with you.
If you have any questions about your treatment or care on the lung and heart day unit, please contact:
Lung and heart day unit
Phone: 03301 288 308 (Mon-Fri, 8.30am - 7.00pm)
Tasmin Fernandes, sister, lung and heart day unit
Paul Lidgate, senior nurse and matron, respiratory medicine
Phone: +44 (0) 7484042012