The Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospitals Charity is dedicated to supporting the world-renowned research which takes place at both our hospitals.
In line with the Charity’s aims, grant programmes and funding are made available to support projects that strive to tackle heart and lung disease and achieve excellent patient benefit and care.
We are proud to announce a new venture with the Charity which will allow research teams within our hospitals to apply for a maximum of £100,000 as a means of pump priming research infrastructure or a research project.
Applications must be submitted by staff who hold a substantive or honorary contract with our hospitals. Applications from all professions are welcomed.
Click on the drop-down menu below to find out more.
- must be employed at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals at the time of application.
- must have their applications costed by the research development team.
- must demonstrate that their project supports the wider aims of our hospitals and its research groups.
- can apply for a maximum of £100,000 but it is expected most applications will cost considerably less than this (applications for funding that fall below the maximum funding cap are highly encouraged).
- must plan to undertake research that will benefit patients and/or staff at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
- should demonstrate how they intend to use the research grant to apply for further research funding.
- can only apply as the lead applicant for one submission.
All funding requests are discussed and assessed by the Research Management Committee (RMC). There will be two funding opportunities per year dependent on available funds (to be ratified at RMC prior to award).
Competition dates for the first round of applications are shown below.
Research Management Fund Call 1
|RMC meeting date||Submission window opens||Final submission deadline||Funding release date*|
|Thursday 14 January 2021||Monday 5 October 2020||Monday 30 November 2020||On or after 01 February 2021|
*Please ensure your start date does not fall before this.
Competition dates for Call 2 will be released early in 2021.
Please note that subject to capacity, the panel reserve the right to postpone review of an application until a later RMC meeting. Should this be the case, the applicant/s will be notified.
Applicants will receive notification of success or rejection of their funding request no later than 4 weeks after the RMC meeting where it was discussed.
Funding can be used to cover anything required to fulfil the project, including salaries, consumables, equipment, publication fees, conference fees, and patient and public involvement (PPI).
This can include funding for infrastructure or pump-priming where it can be demonstrated this is of strategic importance to the Royal Brompton and Harefield hospital's research programme.
Collaborations with other institutions are encouraged but it is expected that a significant proportion of the award will be used to cover hospital-incurred costs.
All costs must be discussed with the Research Development team in a timely manner (see details under "Contact" section).
Download the application form here
Please send the completed form to email@example.com as a PDF file, strictly within the application window specified in the "Application timeline" section of this webpage. In the subject of the email please include your name and the text “Research Management Fund”.
Please note that we will not be acknowledging receipt of applications.
The judging panel will consist of RMC members, an independent reviewer and a lay advisor.
Applications will be judged based on several key factors including (but not limited to):
- Expected patient benefit
- Study design and methodology (where applicable)
- Scientific advancement (where applicable)
- Value for money
- Benefits to Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals
- How Royal Brompton and Harefield hospital's wider aims are supported
All successful applicants are required to present their research proposal to the relevant research Lay Advisory Groups (cardiovascular or respiratory) within 6 months of their award and provide written 6 monthly updates of progress and research output arising from the award for review by RMC.
Successful applicants will also be required to provide regular updates to the Charity on the progress of their research and the impact this has had on Royal Brompton and Harefield hospital's research output.
Costs must be approved by the Research Office in advance of your submission.
To request costing support please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Project start date and duration
- Project title
- Breakdown of the costs you require, including any named personnel and their proposed WTE.
Please allow at least one week for costs to be confirmed.
*Please note that your application will not be accepted if your costs have not been approved by the Research Development team.