Professor Robert Wilson became a consultant at Royal Brompton Hospital in 1989. He has been director of respiratory medicine at the Trust for ten years.
During this time. he has implemented many improvements in patient care. These include:
- expanding the minimal dependency assessment unit
- moving to single beds on the infection ward
- building a new bronchoscopy suite
- developing the role of nurse practitioners.
His most recent role is the clinical lead of the host defence unit at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Areas of expertise
Professor Wilson's areas of expertise include:
- investigating the body's defences against lung infections
- primary ciliary dyskinesia
- primary immunodeficiency
- non-tuberculous mycobacteria infections
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- antibiotic trials
Professor Wilson has lectured for the British and European Thoracic societies, as well as others.
He has travelled the world on lecture tours, visiting China, Mexico and South Africa amongst others. Several pharmaceutical companies also use Professor Wilson as a consultant.
Professor Wilson has written more than 100 peer-reviewed papers and review articles. He has also written several book chapters for various publications.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team.