Mrs María Monteagudo-Vela qualified from Complutense Medical School in Madrid.
She began her training in cardiac surgery at University Hospital La Paz, Madrid. As a national trainee in cardiac surgery, Mrs Monteaguo-Vela worked in Mount Sinai in New York and Hamburg. She then received a fellowship in cardiothoracic transplantation and mechanical assist devices from Harefield Hospital. As part of her post CCT training she also worked in John Radcliffe hospital in Oxford. Mrs Monteagudo-Vela also served as consultant at The Hospital Universitario de la Princesa in Madrid.
She completed a PhD in mechanical circulatory support, achieving cum laude and honors.
Mrs Monteagudo-vela has performed over 500 major cardiothoracic operations, including transplantation and mechanical assist devices implantation. She is highly specialised in surgical therapy for heart failure, heart and lung transplantation and mechanical circulatory support.
She is the Spanish national surgical lead for the cardiogenic shock program.
Areas of expertise
Mrs Monteagudo-Vela has expertise in a range of surgical cardiac procedures, including:
- aortic valve replacement including sutureless valves and minimal invasive approach
- surgery for aortic dissection
- coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- heart failure surgery (ventricular assist devices and extracorporeal life support)
- heart and lung transplantation
- aortic root surgery, ascending aorta and the aortic arch
- surgery for endocarditis
- endoscopic vein harvesting
- exvivo heart and lung perfusion
- mechanical assist devices
- cardiothoracic transplantation
- cardiogenic shock
Mrs Monteagudo-Vela has written over 50 peer-reviewed papers, reviews and editorials, as well as contributed to book chapters. She is also a reviewer for international journals.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team