- Royal College of Surgeons
- International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- European Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- British Medical Association
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland
Mr Espeed Khoshbin qualified from Aberdeen Medical School with an MB ChB and achieved a post graduate research doctorate (MD) from the University of Leicester.
Mr Khoshbin began his training in cardiac surgery at St Marys Hospital in London as part of East Thames rotation. As a national trainee in cardiac surgery, he worked in Manchester University Hospitals. He achieved fellowship of The Surgical Royal Colleges of Great Britain and Ireland (FRCS CTh) and was appointed to the UK’s prestigious national peri CCT fellowship in transplantation (Freeman Hospital). As part of this fellowship, he obtained a travelling scholarship to USA at the University College Los Angeles (UCLA), California.
Mr Khoshbin has performed over 1,000 major cardiothoracic operations including transplantation and related operations. He is highly specialised in surgical therapy for heart failure, heart and lung transplantation and mechanical cardiac support. He is the national lead for transplant education and the lead for organ utilisation at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
Areas of expertise
- On-pump full coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- Isolated and multi-heart valve replacement
- Surgical replacement of the ascending aorta and the aortic arch
- Heart failure surgery
- Heart and lung transplantation
- Short and long term mechanical cardiac support
- Surgery for atrial fibrillation
- Transplant and ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation) related laboratory research
- Clinical trials related to cardiac surgery
- Research in education and artificial intelligence
Mr Khoshbin has over 40 peer review publications, including Cochran systematic reviews, randomised trials, and meta-analysis of randomised trials and book chapters. He has published in journals such as the British Medical Journal, Circulation, Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation, Annals of Cardiothoracic Surgery, European Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery and Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. He is an expert reviewer for the National Institute for Health and Care Research and several journals.