Dr Vicky Gerovasili is a consultant in respiratory and lung Medicine at Harefield Hospital.
Dr Gerovasili completed her training in respiratory medicine at the first critical care department at University of Athens in Greece. She subsequently completed a clinical fellowship in interventional bronchoscopy at the Thoraxklinic in Heidelberg (Germany) before moving to the UK to train in lung transplantation.
Dr Gerovasili previously worked as a consultant in respiratory and lung transplant medicine at Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, before joining Harefield Hospital.
Alongside her clinical role, Dr Gerovasili is also the national lead for organ utilisation at NHS Blood and Transplant, aiming to improve lung donor utilisation in the UK.
Areas of expertise
Dr Gerovasili has expertise in:
- General respiratory medicine
- Lung transplantation
Dr Gerovasili is an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College London, and, alongside her clinical work, has been involved in a number of research projects, which have contributed to over 40 publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
Dr Gerovasili's research interest is focused on early rehabilitation in ICU, rehabilitation in heart and lung disease, endoscopic lung volume reduction, chronic allograft dysfunction, as well as infections in the immunocompromised host.
From 2015 onwards:
- Gerovasili V, Shah A, Singanayagam A, George PM, Njafuh R, Prendecki M, Carby M, Willicombe M, Kelleher P, Reed AG. Impaired Humoral and Cellular Responses to COVID-19 Vaccine in Heart and Lung Transplant Recipients. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2022;205(12):1476-1479
- Kontogianni K, Gompelmann D, Valipour A, Gerovasili V, Schuhmann M, Stanzel F, Herth FJF, Eberhardt R. Efficacy and Safety of the 9-mm Intrabronchial Valve in Patients with Advanced Emphysema. Respiration. 2020;99(4):333-343.
- Sidiras, I Patsaki, E Karatzanos, M Dakoutrou, A Kouvarakos, G Mitsiou, C Routsi, G Stranjalis, S Nanas, V Gerovasili. Long term follow-up of quality of life and functional ability in patients with ICU acquired Weakness – a post hoc analysis. J Crit Care. 2019 Oct;53:223-230
- Gompelmann D, Gerovasili V, Kontogianni K, Schuhmann M, Eberhardt R, Herth FJF, Polke M. Endoscopic Valve removal >180 days since Implantation in patients with severe emphysema Respiration. 2018;96(4):348-354.
- Gerovasili V, Sidiras G, Karatzanos E, Mitsiou G, Papadopoulos E, et al. Effect of neuromuscular stimulation and individualized rehabilitation on muscle strength in Intensive Care Unit survivors: A randomized trial. Journal of Critical Care. 2017;40:76-82.
- Kontogianni K, Gerovasili V, Gompelmann D, Schuhmann M, Hoffmann H, Heussel CP, et al. Coil therapy for patients with severe emphysema and bilateral incomplete fissures – Effectiveness and complications after 1-year follow-up: A single-center experience. International Journal of COPD. 2017;12:383-94.
- Filippidis FT, Laverty AA, Gerovasili V, Vardavas CI. Two-year trends and predictors of e-cigarette use in 27 European Union member states. Tobacco Control. 2017;26(1):98-104.
- Filippidis FT, Gerovasili V, Millett C, Tountas Y. Medium-term impact of the economic crisis on mortality, health-related behaviours and access to healthcare in Greece. Scientific Reports. 2017;7.
- Filippidis FT, Gerovasili V, Laverty AA. Commentary on Farsalinos et al. (2016): Electronic cigarette use in the European Union: analysis of a representative sample of 27 460 Europeans from 28 countries. Addiction. 2017;112(3):544-5.
- Stefanou C, Karatzanos E, Mitsiou G, Psarra K, Angelopoulos E, Dimopoulos S, Gerovasili V et al. Neuromuscular electrical stimulation acutely mobilizes endothelial progenitor cells in critically ill patients with sepsis. Annals of Intensive Care. 2016;6(1).
- Filippidis FT, Gerovasili V, Man WDC, Quint JK. Trends in mortality from respiratory system diseases in Greece during the financial crisis. European Respiratory Journal. 2016;48(5):1487-9.
- Patsaki I, Gerovasili V, Sidiras G, Routsi C, Markaki V, Nanas S. Post-intensive care unit rehabilitation: Reducing the long-term effects of muscle weakness. Archives of Hellenic Medicine. 2016;32(6):713-23.
- Gompelmann D, Lim HJ, Eberhardt R, Gerovasili V, Herth FJF, Heussel CP, et al. Predictors of pneumothorax following endoscopic valve therapy in patients with severe emphysema. International Journal of COPD. 2016;11(1):1767-73.
- Sidiras G, Gerovasili V, Patsaki I, Routsi C, Strantzalis G, Nanas S. Intensive care unit acquired weakness. Archives of Hellenic Medicine. 2016;33(2):151-64.
- Gerovasili V. Beneficial effect of NMES in COPD wanes after programme completion. The Lancet Respiratory Medicine. 2016;4(1):3-5.
- Gompelmann D, Hofbauer T, Gerovasili V, Eberhardt R, Lim HJ, Herth F, et al. Predictors of clinical outcome in emphysema patients with atelectasis following endoscopic valve therapy: A retrospective study. Respirology. 2016;21(7):1255-61.
- Parisi M, Gerovasili V, Dimopoulos S, Kampisiouli E, Goga C, Perivolioti E, et al. Use of ventilator bundle and staff education to decrease ventilator- associated pneumonia in intensive care patients. Critical Care Nurse. 2016;36(5):e1-e7.
- Stratakos G, Gerovasili V, Dimitropoulos C, Giozos I, Filippidis FT, Gennimata S, et al. Survival and quality of life benefit after endoscopic management of malignant central airway obstruction. Journal of Cancer. 2016;7(7):794-802.
- Gerovasili V, Agaku IT, Vardavas CI, Filippidis FT. Levels of physical activity among adults 18-64 years old in 28 European countries. Preventive Medicine. 2015;81:87-91