- British Cardiac Society
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- Acute Cardiovascular Care Association
Dr Davies trained in Cambridge and London, before being appointed in 1994 at Royal Brompton Hospital. During his time at the Trust, Dr Davies has held a number of lead posts, as well as nationally.
In the Trust, Dr Davies is:
- lead clinician for percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- director of the transcatheter aortic valve intervention (TAVI) programme
- lead interventional cardiologist for the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) programme
- national lead cardiologist for Refsum's disease.
Areas of expertise
Dr Davies has a wide range of clinical interests and expertise, including:
- non-invasive coronary testing
- complex PCI and biodegradable stents
- septal ablation of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- retrieval of intracardiac foreign bodies
- mechanical circulatory support, including impella, balloon pumps and ECMO.
Dr Davies has a keen interest in cardio-oncology, with his interests in the field including:
- cardiovascular assessment of oncology patients before surgery, chemotherapy or radiotherapy to check their fitness levels and treat any cardiovascular condition that might interfere with their cancer treatment
- the assessment of any cardiovascular side-effects of cancer treatments - such as medications that can raise the patient's blood pressure and others affecting the heart muscle
- when it is necessary to stent narrowed coronary arteries and to drain any collection of fluid around the heart.
Teaching and publications
Dr Davies has published extensively on many clinical aspects of cardiology, including:
- PCI and stenting
- platelet biology
- free radicals and reperfusion injury
- pulmonary microvascular permeability
- ventilatory changes in heart failure
- exercise capacity and quality of life
- patient safety in a cardiac catheter laboratory
Dr Simon Davies is an honorary senior lecturer at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London. He is regularly invited to lecture at cardiology and cardiac surgical conferences on an international scale, and has been awarded a number of research and academic prizes.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team.