Dr Michael Rigby trained at the Killingbeck Hospital in Leeds, the Birmingham Children’s Hospital, John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.
He is a consultant paediatric cardiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital with a specialist interest in interventional cardiac catheterisation in congenital heart disease in children and young adults.
Areas of expertise
Dr Rigby's clinical expertise includes:
closure of atrial septal defects and ventricular septal defects
cutting balloon dilatation of pulmonary vein stenosis
pulmonary valve implantation.
Dr Rigby runs annual courses on echocardiography in congenital heart disease and neonatal and infant heart disease.
He has lectured and taught in many countries including:
- the Philippines
- the United States
- Saudi Arabia
- the United Arab Emirates.
He also arranges seminars and meetings in the UK and teaches international students at the Trust.
He has been involved with many international conferences during his career where he delivered lectures and contributed to post graduate training, including:
- course director of Fetal Echocardiography, 19th World Congress in Obstetrics and Gynecology in Hamburg, Germany (September 2009)
- member of the international faculty, Cardiology Symposium at the University of Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil
- visiting professor of paediatric cardiology at the University of Salvador in Bahia, Brazil (October 2009).
In 2010, he was a faculty member of the Brazilian Society for Pediatric Cardiology and the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery. He was a faculty member of the European Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery and a guest lecturer at the Aarhus University, Denmark in 2011.
In 2012, Dr Rigby was a guest lecturer at the Academic Centre, Amsterdam, the Brazilian Society for Cardiology, the University of Aalborg Denmark and the Nordic Pediatric Cardiology Meeting, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Dr Rigby has published many papers on congenital heart disease and authored a number of books including:
- 'Paediatric Cardiology'(Churchill Livingstone, 2010);
- 'Echocardiography in Congenital Heart Disease Made Simple' (Imperial College Press, 2005)
- 'Colour Atlas of Congenital Heart Disease' (Mosby - Wolf, 1995)
- 'The Diagnosis of Congenital Heart Disease' (Castle House, 1985).
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team.