Dr Allinson is a consultant respiratory physician at Royal Brompton Hospital, working in the fields of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and respiratory failure.
Dr Allinson graduated in 2002 from St Peter’s College, University of Oxford and completed his postgraduate training at Oriel College, University of Oxford, in 2005. He trained in respiratory and general medicine in London and was awarded a PhD from Imperial College London in 2018.
Areas of expertise
Dr Allinson has expertise in the diagnosis and management of:
- adult chronic airways disease including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and emphysema
- respiratory failure
- 2018 Royal College of Physicians Quincentennial Lecturer (London)
- 2017 European Respiratory Society/European Lung Foundation Best Abstract Grant for Healthy Lungs for Life
- 2017 American Thoracic Society Abstract Scholarship
- 2016 British Lung Foundation Early Career Researcher 2016
- 2016 American Thoracic Society Abstract Scholarship
- 2015 American Thoracic Society Best of 2015 “Achievement Award”
- 2015 American Thoracic Society International Trainee Scholarship Award
- 2015 British Lung Foundation American Thoracic Society 2015 Travel Fellowship
- 2014 European Respiratory Society Travel Grant for the best abstracts on COPD
Dr Allinson’s research interests include how airways disease develops across life and how to identify the early stages of COPD development. His research also addresses how to improve the management of already established COPD. Dr Allinson is the primary investigator on an Asthma + Lung UK Project Grant.
- Changes in lung function in European adults born between 1884 and 1996 and implications for the diagnosis of lung disease: a cross-sectional analysis of ten population-based studies, The Lancet Respiratory Medicine, January 2022
- Obesity, Insulin Resistance, and Asthma, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, July 2022
- Update in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease 2020, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, April 2021
- Current developments and future directions in COPD, European Respiratory Society, December 2020
- Combined Impact of Smoking and Early-Life Exposures on Adult Lung Function Trajectories, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, May 2017
- The Presence of Chronic Mucus Hypersecretion across Adult Life in Relation to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Development, American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine, December 2015