- Honorary secretary, British Society of Cardiovascular CT
- Chairman, UK International Regional Committee of the US Society of Cardiovascular CT
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, Society of Cardiovascular CT
- Training programme director, London Advanced Cardiovascular CT fellowship programme
- British Cardiovascular Society
- President, Military Medicine Section, Royal Society of Medicine
Dr Ed Nicol graduated with honours from Nottingham University Medical School in 1992. He trained in general cardiology at various specialist cardiac units in London and Oxford undertaking his doctoral research in cardiovascular CT at Royal Brompton.
He was appointed as honorary consultant cardiologist at the Trust to facilitate the expansion of cardiovascular CT – particularly in research, education and training.
He is also the clinical governance lead for the cardiovascular CT department at Royal Brompton Hospital and regularly leads clinical research projects and audits to support quality improvement in this field.
Areas of expertise
Dr Nicol is an honorary consultant cardiologist who specialises in cardiovascular imaging, in particular, cardiovascular CT.
He is also an honorary cardiologist and general physician at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital and cardiologist at the Royal Air Force as he has specific expertise in the management of aviation cardiology.
Dr Nicol is involved in training doctors and scientists internationally, where he has helped many of his overseas colleagues to learn cardiovascular CT and help establish them in their own units.
Dr Nicol has published more than 100 articles and book chapters on cardiovascular CT, military medicine and leadership in healthcare in prestigious journals (BMJ, JACC and JACC Imaging) and books. He has given more than 100 presentations worldwide and is the lead author of the Oxford Handbook of Cardiovascular CT.