Dr Ali Vazir studied at Imperial College London and won many awards and prizes during his time there. In London, he trained in cardiology, general internal medicine and acute cardiac care.
He also completed clinical fellowships in:
- advanced and peri-operative echocardiography
- advanced heart failure
- cardiac transplantation
- mechanical circulatory support
- pacing and device management.
Dr Vazir also leads the care of patients on the high dependency unit, which includes caring for patient pre and post cardiac and thoracic procedures.
Areas of expertise
Dr Vazir's areas of expertise include:
- management of acute and chronic heart failure
- cardio-renal syndrome
- hypertensive heart disease
- pacing optimisation
- valvular heart disease
- 3D trans-oesophageal and peri-operative echocardiography.
He developed an ultrafiltration service at Royal Brompton Hospital treating diuretic resistant heart failure. He leads patient care on the high dependency unit, including pre and post cardiac and thoracic procedures.
Dr Vazir gained his PhD in 2006, funded by the British Heart Foundation. His thesis was on the 'Prevalence and mechanism of sleep-disordered breathing in patients with heart failure'.
He has won several investigator awards for his research. These include awards from the European Respiratory Society and the European Society of Cardiology Heart Failure Association.
Dr Vazir has lectured internationally, including the UK, Europe and America. He is also an examiner for the European Association of Echocardiography.
Dr Vazir has published in many international peer-reviewed journals on the subjects of:
- heart failure
- sleep apnoea
- cardiopulmonary exercise testing
- acute cardiology
These journals include the:
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- Circulation Heart Failure
- International Journal of Cardiology
- European Journal of Heart Failure
- European Respiratory Journal
He has also written several book chapters, including the Oxford Textbook of Heart Failure.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team.