Dr Kempny trained in cardiology and internal medicine at the University Hospital of Muenster, Germany, and at the Royal Brompton Hospital.
He received his PhD in Cardiology at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London.
Dr Kempny is fully trained in general adult cardiology. Before joining Royal Brompton Hospital as a consultant, he was consultant cardiologist at the Barts Heart Centre between 2015-16. In 2016-2017 he was visiting consultant cardiologist at the John Radcliffe Hospital, the main teaching hospital for Oxford University.
Areas of expertise
Dr Kempny has many years of experience at tertiary university centres, including Barts Heart Centre (former Heart Hospital) at University College London, University Hospital of Muenster in Germany and at Royal Brompton Hospital, with expertise in:
- Adult congenital heart disease and pulmonary hypertension
- Valvular heart disease, coronary artery disease
- Echocardiography, including TTE, TOE and stress echocardiography
- Heart failure and intensive care management of ACHD and PH patients
- Exercise physiology.
Dr Kempny leads the adult congenital heart disease and pulmonary hypertension intervention programme at Royal Brompton Hospital and performs the following procedures in adults and children:
- Atrial septal defect, PFO, VSD, PDA closure and CoA stenting
- Percutaneous pulmonary valve implantation (both Melody and Edwards-Sapien valves)
- Percutaneous valve in valve implantation in atrio-ventricular valve position
- Balloon valvuloplasty
- Balloon pulmonary angioplasty (BPA)
- Paravalvular leak closure
- Closure of vascular malformations
- Coronary angiography and cardiac catheterisation, with thermodilution and direct Fick method for accurate assessment of haemodynamics, vasoreactivity testing
- 3D reconstructions and 3D printing for advanced planning of percutaneous procedures.
Dr Kempny’s research is focused on clinical cardiology and analysis of outcomes in cardiology, including congenital heart disease, pulmonary hypertension, valvular heart disease, exercise physiology and percutaneous cardiac interventions.
Dr Kempny has authored more than 100 publications in leading journals, including Circulation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, European Heart Journal, Heart, International Journal of Cardiology and the New England Journal of Medicine, with a Hirsch Index of 30 (09/2020, Google Scholar)
He is a reviewer for major cardiovascular journals, including Circulation, European Heart Journal, Journal of the American College of Cardiology, Heart, International Journal of Cardiology and regularly lectures at national and international conferences.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team