A number of Trust consultants in cardiovascular medicine at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals have been chosen for leading roles at professional external organisations.
Five members of staff have been appointed to roles on the main board, committees, and working groups of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). The organisation represents more than 95,000 clinicians and is recognised as a world leader in the discovery and dissemination of best practices in cardiovascular medicine.
The Trust also has new representation on the NHS North-London Operational Delivery Network, which was set up to bring together clinicians from primary, secondary and tertiary care to improve the way care is delivered to patients in specific clinical areas, and the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery (SCTS), the representative body for cardiothoracic surgery in Great Britain & Ireland.
The European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- Professor Martin Cowie, consultant cardiologist, has been re-appointed chair of the ESC Digital Health Committee
- Professor Thomas Lüscher, consultant cardiologist and director of research, education and development, has been elected board secretary/treasurer and a member of the ESC’s Management Committee
- Dr Alexander Lyon, honorary consultant cardiologist, is chair-elect of the sub-specialty council, the ESC Council of Cardio-Oncology
- Dr Antonis Pantazis, consultant cardiologist, becomes the new chair of the ESC’s Working Group on Myocardial and Pericardial Disease
- Professor Susanna Price, consultant cardiologist and intensivist, has been elected board councillor at the ESC and appointed chair of the Education Committee.
NHS North-London Operational Delivery Network
- Dr Shelley Rahman Haley, consultant echocardiologist, becomes chair of the Imaging Workstream of the NHS North-London Operational Delivery Network. The workstream is tasked with tackling the backlog of imaging cases that has built up during the Covid-19 pandemic at secondary and tertiary care hospitals in London and Greater London.
Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Dr Sunil Bhudia, consultant cardiac surgeon, has been appointed meeting secretary at the SCTS, responsible for delivering the society’s annual meeting
- Dr Shahzad Raja, consultant cardiac surgeon, becomes consultant education lead at the SCTS, responsible for delivering and developing the portfolio of education resources for consultant members.
Dr Mark Mason, medical director at the Trust, said: “I would like to congratulate everyone on these achievements. The range of these appointments is testament to the extraordinarily high level of expertise among our clinicians.”