Mr Balakrishnan Mahesh trained in surgery in India’s premier medical institution (All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi). During his clinical training, he completed a research project in the treatment of vascular malformations. He attained a Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil), at Imperial College London, for his research in investigating the role of autoantibodies in mediating acute and chronic rejection in heart transplant recipients.
He then completed his cardiac surgical training at Harefield and Papworth hospitals and went on to specialise in heart and lung transplantation, and implantation of ventricular assist devices, at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, USA.
Mr Mahesh is a consultant cardiac and transplant surgeon at Harefield Hospital and was previously a consultant at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital in Glasgow in cardiac surgery and transplantation.
He also holds the following accreditations:
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons of England, Cardiothoracic Surgery (FRCS-CTh)
- Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil), Imperial College, London University
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons, Glasgow, UK
- Master of Surgery, All India Institute Of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- MBBS, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India.
Mr Mahesh specialises in heart and lung transplantation and ventricular assist devices, along with:
- mitral valve surgery including repair
- total arterial coronary revascularisation
- aortic surgery
- minimally invasive surgery
- surgery for atrial fibrillation.
Mr Mahesh’s research interests include:
- the role of antibody-mediated rejection in affecting outcomes following heart transplantation
- right ventricular function following heart transplantation
- implantation of left ventricular assist devices.
He also has an interest in education and training.
Mr Mahesh has published widely with his publications available on PubMed.
Private patient referral
If you would like to make an appointment with this specialist for private care, contact the RB&HH Specialist care team.