We are dedicated to involving patients and the public in the design, execution and dissemination of our research and in raising public awareness and interest in our work through a range of education and media activities.
Public involvement focuses on people with a 'lay' interest in lung and/or heart research and this includes:
- people living with a related health conditions, their carers and relatives
- patient representative organisations
- patient groups
- people who have taken part in clinical research or are currently participating
- members of the public
- schools and colleges
- science organisations and institutions working for the public – science museums, exhibitions.
Patient and public involvement
Researchers have found that engaging patients and the public helps to ensure that research is used in clinical practice, sometimes described as 'from bench to bedside'.
For our BRUs, this means involving members of the public, including patients and carers, in decisions about how we carry out our research so that we can make sure that:
- our research focuses on health improvements important to patients
- treatment that may result from the research is acceptable to patients
- research is designed so that patients who participate have the best possible experience.
It is important that research reflects and considers the interests and aspirations of society at large. For this to happen, research must be in the public domain so that it can encourage people to become better informed, to give their views and, for some, to become researchers of the future.
We are planning to increase public awareness of our research through a range of education and media activities. If you would like to get involved in any of the activities, please contact our public involvement coordinators.
Patient and public partners in research – how to get involved
We are keen to involve patients and the public who are interested in contributing to the future development of our research work by joining our patient groups and public forums. If you are interested to find out more, please contact our public involvement coordinators as below.
To find out more about our respiratory research, please contact:
Telephone: 020 7352 8121 ext 4960
To find out more about our cardiovascular research, please contact:
Cardiovascular public involvement coordinator
Telephone: 020 7352 8121 ext 2746