Background and training
Professor Athol Wells trained at Green Lane Hospital in Auckland, New Zealand. He then came to Royal Brompton Hospital in 1989 for his post-graduate studies.
Areas of expertise
Professor Wells is a consultant physician at the Trust. He specialises in diffuse lung disease. His areas of expertise include:
- lung fibrosis
- assoicated autoimmune disorders
- idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- other lung scarring disorders
- all forms of sarcoidosis.
Professor Wells' research interests include:
- prognostic evaluation in diffuse lung disease using HRCT and pulmonary function tests.
- defining the relationship between structure and function in diffuse lung disease.
- defining disease types and severity in genetic and laboratory studies
- studying new therapies in diffuse lung disease.
Professor Wells speaks around the world at major conferences, including the American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society.
Professor Wells chairs the British Thoracic Society group revising diffuse lung disease guidelines. He sits on the American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society group revising idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis guidelines.
He also sits on several other joint group defining guidelines for conditions such as:
- non-specific interstitial pneumonia
- smoking related diffuse lung disease
- acute exacerbations of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
Professor Wells is on the advisory board of the:
- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
He is also principal or co-editor of three books on his specialist interests.