Mr André R Simon is director of h
eart and lung transplantation and ventricular assist devices and consultant cardiac surgeon at Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Foundation Trust.
He holds a position as an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College London.
Background and qualifications
Mr Simon trained at the Christian Albrechts University in Kiel, Germany, the Harvard Medical School, USA and the Hannover Medical School, Germany, where he qualified as a cardiac and thoracic surgeon.
He attained his Doctorate at the Christian Albrechts University and holds a Higher Doctorate of Medicine at the Hannover Medical School.
He worked as an attending cardiac surgeon at Hannover Medical School form 2003 to 2010 and was the director of the Hannover Thoracic Transplant Program from 2007 to 2010 where he was instrumental in the clinical development of minimally invasive lung transplantation.
In 2009 to 2010 he was the director at European Academy for Organ Transplantation (EUCAT) at the Integrated Research and Treatment Center (funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research) situated at the Hannover Medical School, Hannover, Germany, founded 2009.
Clinical areas of interest and specialist expertise
- Complex cardiac surgery
- Total arterial revascularisation
- Critical care
- Heart and heart-lung transplantation
- Minimally invasive lung transplantation
- Ventricular assist devices (artificial hearts)
- Extra corporeal life support
Scientific interest and published work
Mr Simon’s scientific interests include transplantation immunology, cardiac imaging and ventricular assist devices and he has raised more than £2 million in funding.
He is the author of more than 100 peer-reviewed papers, reviews and editorials, and has contributed chapters to a variety of text books.
He is an active member of (among others):
- the European Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- the International Xenotransplantation Association
- the American Society of Transplantation
- the German Society of Cardiology
- the German Society of Transplantation
- the German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
As well as being a reviewer for a number of international peer-reviewed journals, Mr Simon is a member of numerous international boards and scientific advisory committees. He is invited frequently as a lecturer.
Charity and voluntary work
Mr André Simon is the founder and president of 'HeartHelp', a charitable non-government organisation that provides cardiac surgery for adults in developing countries in Africa.
- Bodmann I, Dierich M, Fuehner T, Simon A, Welte T, Gottlieb J. Vibration response imaging (VRI) in lung transplant recipients. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2010 Feb;4(1):3-11.
- Kugler C, Gottlieb J, Dierich M, Haverich A, Strueber M, Welte T, Simon A. Significance of patient self-monitoring for long-term outcomes after lung transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2009 Dec 28.
- Goerler H, Simon A, Warnecke G, Meyer AL, Kuehn C, Haverich A, Strueber M. Cardiac surgery late after heart transplantation: A safe and effective treatment option. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Apr 8.
- Kugler C, Tegtbur U, Gottlieb J, Bara C, Malehsa D, Dierich M, Simon A, Haverich A. Health-Related Quality of Life in Long-Term Survivors After Heart and Lung Transplantation: A Prospective Cohort Study. Transplantation. 2010 Jun 18.
Reviews and book chapters
- Fuehner T, Simon A, Dierich M, Dewall C, Laenger F, Pletz MW, Welte T, Gottlieb J. Indicators for steroid response in biopsy proven acute graft rejection after lung transplantation. Respir Med. 2009 Aug;103(8):1114-21. Epub 2009 Apr 26.
- Dierich M, Fuehner T, Welte T, Simon A, Gottlieb J. [Lung transplantation. Indications, long-term results and special impact of follow-up care]. Internist (Berl). 2009 May;50(5):561-71. Review. German.
- Gottlieb J, Ballmann M, von Mallinckrodt C, Staab D, Smaczny C, Simon A, Welte T, Wagner TO. [Lung transplantation in cystic fibrosis--a position paper]. Pneumologie. 2009 Aug;63(8):451-60. Epub 2009 Aug 7. Review. German.
- Strüber M, Meyer AL, Malehsa D, Kugler C, Simon AR, Haverich A. The current status of heart transplantation and the development of "artificial heart systems". Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2009 Jul;106(28-29):471-7. Epub 2009 Jul 13. Review.