Background and qualifications
Mr André R Simon undertook his training at:
- Christian Albrechts University in Kiel, Germany
- Harvard Medical School, USA
- Hannover Medical School, Germany
Once qualified in cardiac and thoracic surgery, he continued his training, completing his doctorate (Christian Albrechts University), and a Higher Doctorate of Medicine (Hannover Medical School).
At Hannover Medical School, he worked as an attending cardiac surgeon (2003-2010). He was also director of the Hannover Thoracic Transplant Program (2007-2010). He was pivotal in the clinical development of minimally invasive lung transplantation there.
Between 2009 to 2010, he was director at the European Academy for Organ Transplantation (EUCAT). This is part of the Integrated Treatment Centre, based at Hannover Medical School. The centre, funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, was founded in 2009.
Areas of expertise
Mr Simon is director of heart and lung transplantation, ventricular assist devices and a consultant cardiac surgeon at the Trust. He is an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College, London.
Mr Simon has a wide range of clinical and surgical expertise, including:
- Complex cardiac surgery
- Total arterial revascularisation
- Critical care
- Heart and heart-lung transplantation
- Minimally invasive lung transplantation
- Ventricular assist devices (artificial hearts)
- Extra corporeal life support
Research interests and publications
Mr Simon has raised over £2 million in funding for research into:
- transplantation immunology
- cardiac imaging
- ventricular assist devices
He has written over 100 peer-reviewed papers, reviews and editorials. He has also contributed chapters to a variety of textbooks.
Mr Simon is an active member of the (among others):
- European Society of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery
- International Xenotransplantation Association
- American Society of Transplantation
- German Society of Cardiology
- German Society of Transplantation
- German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery.
International reputation and voluntary work
Mr Simon reviews many international peer-reviewed journals. He sits on several international boards and scientific advisory committees and is often invited to lecture.
Mr Simon is the founder and president of 'HeartHelp', a charitable non-government organisation. HeartHelp provides cardiac surgery for adults in developing countries in Africa.
- Bodmann I, Dierich M, Fuehner T, Simon A, Welte T, Gottlieb J. Vibration response imaging (VRI) in lung transplant recipients. Ther Adv Respir Dis. 2010 Feb;4(1):3-11.
- Kugler C, Gottlieb J, Dierich M, Haverich A, Strueber M, Welte T, Simon A. Significance of patient self-monitoring for long-term outcomes after lung transplantation. Clin Transplant. 2009 Dec 28.
- Goerler H, Simon A, Warnecke G, Meyer AL, Kuehn C, Haverich A, Strueber M. Cardiac surgery late after heart transplantation: A safe and effective treatment option. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2010 Apr 8.
- Kugler C, Tegtbur U, Gottlieb J, Bara C, Malehsa D, Dierich M, Simon A, Haverich A. Health-Related Quality of Life in Long-Term Survivors After Heart and Lung Transplantation: A Prospective Cohort Study. Transplantation. 2010 Jun 18.
Reviews and book chapters
- Fuehner T, Simon A, Dierich M, Dewall C, Laenger F, Pletz MW, Welte T, Gottlieb J. Indicators for steroid response in biopsy proven acute graft rejection after lung transplantation. Respir Med. 2009 Aug;103(8):1114-21. Epub 2009 Apr 26.
- Dierich M, Fuehner T, Welte T, Simon A, Gottlieb J. [Lung transplantation. Indications, long-term results and special impact of follow-up care]. Internist (Berl). 2009 May;50(5):561-71. Review. German.
- Gottlieb J, Ballmann M, von Mallinckrodt C, Staab D, Smaczny C, Simon A, Welte T, Wagner TO. [Lung transplantation in cystic fibrosis--a position paper]. Pneumologie. 2009 Aug;63(8):451-60. Epub 2009 Aug 7. Review. German.
- Strüber M, Meyer AL, Malehsa D, Kugler C, Simon AR, Haverich A. The current status of heart transplantation and the development of "artificial heart systems". Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2009 Jul;106(28-29):471-7. Epub 2009 Jul 13. Review.