Background and training
Dr Elizabeth Renzoni obtained her medical degree and completed her training in respiratory medicine at the University of Siena, Italy, and subsequently specialised in interstitial lung diseases (ILD) in the regional ILD specialist centre in Siena.
In 1999, she was awarded an European Respiratory Society (ERS) research fellowship to study the genetic predisposition to interstitial lung diseases at the Interstitial Lung Disease Unit at Royal Brompton Hospital. She continued research and clinical activities as a clinical research fellow in the Unit, and completed a PhD in gene expression analysis in pulmonary fibrosis with Imperial College, London.
In 2006, she was appointed consultant physician in the Interstitial Lung Disease Unit at the Royal Brompton Hospital. She is a member of the British Thoracic Society, of the European Respiratory Society, of the Pan-London Interstitial Lung Disease Network and is an honorary faculty member of the PhD programme in cellular biology and physiopathology at the University of Siena, Italy.
Specialist clinical expertise
Dr Renzoni is a consultant respiratory physician at Royal Brompton Hospital and an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College London.
Her specialist interests include:
- connective tissue disease-associated interstitial lung diseases
- idiopathic interstitial pneumonias
- sarcoidosis and hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- Langerhans' cell histiocytosis
- constrictive bronchiolitis
- alveolar proteinosis.
Dr Renzoni's laboratory research has focused on the study of genetic associations with lung fibrosis, fibroblast gene expression of fibroblasts isolated from different patterns of lung fibrosis, vascular and lymphatic remodelling in idiopathic and scleroderma-associated lung fibrosis.
From a clinical research perspective, she is the primary investigator (PI) for a clinical trial to study the effects of supplemental oxygen in fibrotic lung diseases, funded by the national institute for health research (NIHR) Research for Patient Benefit funding stream. She is also currently the PI of a study funded by the Raynaud’s and Scleroderma Association to evaluate the role of gastro-esophageal reflux in the development and progression of ILD in the context of scleroderma.
Dr Renzoni is a member of the:
- British Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- PhD programme in cellular biology and physiopathology, University of Siena, Italy (honorary faculty member)
Dr Renzoni publishes on clinical and translational research aspects of respiratory and interstitial lung diseases. She has written several book chapters on ILD and sarcoidosis. She regularly reviews research and clinical manuscripts for international journals.
Recent selected publications
- Keir GJ, Maher TM, Ming D, Abdullah R, de Lauretis A, Wickremasinghe M, Nicholson AG, Hansell DM, Wells AU, Renzoni EA. Rituximab in severe treatment-refractory interstitial lung disease. Respirology. 2013 Nov 29.
- Keir GJ, Garfield B, Hansell DM, Loebinger MR, Wilson R, Renzoni EA, Wells AU, Maher TM. Cyclical caspofungin for chronic pulmonary aspergillosis in sarcoidosis. Thorax. 2014 Mar;69(3):287-8.
- Lindahl GE, Stock CJ, Shi-Wen X, Leoni P, Sestini P, Howat SL, Bou-Gharios G, Nicholson AG, Denton CP, Grutters JC, Maher TM, Wells AU, Abraham DJ, Renzoni EA. Microarray profiling reveals suppressed interferon stimulated gene program in fibroblasts from scleroderma-associated interstitial lung disease. Respir Res. 2013 Aug 2;14:80.
- Lota HK, Keir GJ, Hansell DM, Nicholson AG, Maher TM, Wells AU, Renzoni EA. Novel use of rituximab in hypersensitivity pneumonitis refractory to conventional treatment. Thorax. 2013 Aug;68(8):780-1.
- De Lauretis A, Sestini P, Pantelidis P, Hoyles R, Hansell DM, Goh NS, Zappala CJ, Visca D, Maher TM, Denton CP, Ong VH, Abraham DJ, Kelleher P, Hector L, Wells AU, Renzoni EA. Serum interleukin 6 is predictive of early functional decline and mortality in interstitial lung disease associated with systemic sclerosis. J Rheumatol. 2013 Apr;40(4):435-46.
- Stock CJ, Sato H, Fonseca C, Banya WA, Molyneaux PL, Adamali H, Russell AM, Denton CP, Abraham DJ, Hansell DM, Nicholson AG, Maher TM, Wells AU, Lindahl GE, Renzoni EA. Mucin 5B promoter polymorphism is associated with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis but not with development of lung fibrosis in systemic sclerosis or sarcoidosis. Thorax. 2013 May;68(5):436-41.
- Corte TJ, Wort SJ, Talbot S, Macdonald PM, Hansel DM, Polkey M, Renzoni E, Maher TM, Nicholson AG, Wells AU. Elevated nocturnal desaturation index predicts mortality in interstitial lung disease. Sarcoidosis Vasc Diffuse Lung Dis. 2012 Mar;29(1):41-50.
- Patel AS, Siegert RJ, Creamer D, Larkin G, Maher TM, Renzoni EA, Wells AU Higginson IJ, Birring SS. The development and validation of the King's Sarcoidosis Questionnaire for the assessment of health status. Thorax. 2013 Jan;68(1):57-65.
- Patel AS, Siegert RJ, Brignall K, Gordon P, Steer S, Desai SR, Maher TM, Renzoni EA, Wells AU, Higginson IJ, Birring SS. The development and validation of the King's Brief Interstitial Lung Disease (K-BILD) health status questionnaire. Thorax. 2012 Sep;67(9):804-10.
- Keir GJ, Maher TM, Hansell DM, Denton CP, Ong VH, Singh S, Wells AU, Renzoni EA. Severe interstitial lung disease in connective tissue disease: rituximab as rescue therapy. Eur Respir J. 2012 Sep;40(3):641-8.