Professor Raad Mohiaddin is a consultant radiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital and a professor of cardiovascular imaging at the National Heart and Lung Institute at Imperial College London.
He has worked in the medical resonance unit at Royal Brompton since 1985.
Clinical and research interests
Professor Mohiaddin’s main clinical and research interest has been the development and application of contemporary cross-sectional imaging techniques, particularly MRI in cardiology.
His aim is to make the best possible use of the functional and anatomical information provided by MRI in understanding congenital and acquired cardiovascular diseases, and to guide diagnosis and management of patients.
Other areas of expertise include:
- imaging in congenital heart disease
- ischaemic heart disease
- inherited myocardial diseases
- correlation of imaging and genetics studies in patients with inherited and congenital cardiovascular diseases
- the development of imaging techniques to guide electrophysiological interventional procedures.
Professor Mohiaddin's research interests include:
- vascular and arterial wall imaging
- the use of imaging for assessment of the biophysical properties of the vascular wall
- quantitative blood flow measurements
- blood flow visualisation.
Accreditation and memberships
Professor Mohiaddin has been awarded the William S. Moore award of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine twice, in 1991 and 1993.
He is also a fellow of the Royal College of Physicians, the Royal College of Radiologists and the European Society of Cardiology, and has served on the boards on the trustees and scientific programme committees of numerous scientific and medical societies.
As well as these, he is principal investigator on a number of successful grant applications and has supervised several PhD and MSc students. He has also served as an internal and external examiner on many occasions.
Professor Mohiaddin is assistant editor of the Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance. He is also on the editorial board of many medical journals and is a peer reviewer for several clinical and scientific journals.
He has authored peer-reviewed papers, four published books and lectured at both national and international conferences.