Mr George Ladas is a consultant thoracic surgeon with specialist interest in thoracic surgical oncolocy, extended resections for lung cancer, pancoast tumours, bronchoplastic resections, and tumours of the mediastinum and chest wall.
Education and experience
Mr George Ladas completed his training in cardiothoracic and peripheral vascular surgery at Evangelismos Medical Centre in 1989, and was first appointed as consultant in thoracic surgery in January 1990 in Athens.
Mr Ladas came to Royal Brompton Hospital in April 1994 and worked here as senior registrar in thoracic surgery until July 1997. He was appointed thoracic surgeon at Royal Brompton in December 1997.
In 2010, Mr Ladas began using the UK's first lung laser to operate on patients with secondary lung tumours, thereby reducing operating time and improving patients' recovery time and quality of life.
He has given numerous lectures to national and international meetings and published more than 40 scientific papers on thoracic surgical topics in peer-reviewed journals, and contributed to 10 textbooks on thoracic surgery.
Mr Ladas is a member of the faculty of the HST Introductory Course in Thoracic Surgery, at the Royal College of Surgeons of England. He is a member of the faculty of the European School of Cardiothoracic Surgery in Bergamo, Italy.
- Thoracic surgical oncology
- Extended resections for lung cancer, pancoast tumours, bronchoplastic resections, tumours of the mediastinum and chest wall
- Correction of pectus deformities, including Nuss procedure in adult patients
- Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery
- Pulmonary metastasectomy (he has performed more than 500 operations over 15 years)
- Thoracic Sarcoma surgery
- Unique UK expertise in the use of the 1318nm lung laser for resection of primary and metastatic lung tumours
- Extended resections for lung cancer, staging of lung cancer
- Pulmonary metastasectomy
- Combined modality treatment and lung metastasectomy for colorectal carcinoma
- Post-thoracotomy analgesia
- Endoscopic management of airway obstruction, stents
- Extensive resections of sternum and chest wall and complex reconstruction
Memberships and other posts
Lead thoracic surgeon, lung cancer multidisciplinary team, Royal Brompton and Royal Marsden hospitals
Clinical risk and audit representative for thoracic surgery, Royal Brompton Hospital
Member, Sarcoma Clinical Advisory Group
Member, London and South East England Managed Sarcoma Supra-Network
- G. Ladas, P H Rhys - Evans, P Goldstraw. Anterior cervical-transsternal approach for resection of benign tumors at the thoracic inlet. Ann Thorac Surg 1999 Mar;67(3) :785-9.
- Kumar P, Bush AP, Ladas G, Goldstraw P. Tracheobronchial obstruction in children: experience with endoscopic airway stenting. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 May;75(5):1579-86.
- Kumar P, Goldstraw P, Yamada K, Nicholson AG, Wells AU, Hansell DM, Dubois RM, Ladas G. Pulmonary fibrosis and lung cancer: risk and benefit analysis of pulmonary resection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003 Jun; 125(6):1321-7.
- Watanabe S-I. Ladas G. Goldstraw P. Inter-observer variability in systematic nodal dissection: comparison of European and Japanese nodal designation. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. Vol 73(1) (pp 245-248), 2002.
- Zacharias J, Nicholson AG, Ladas GP, Goldstraw P. Large cell neuroendocrine carcinoma and large cell carcinomas with neuroendocrine morphology of the lung: prognosis after complete resection and systematic nodal dissection. Ann Thorac Surg. 2003 Feb;
- Tiffet O, Nicholson AG, Ladas G, Sheppard MN, Goldstraw P. A clinicopathologic study of 12 neuroendocrine tumors arising in the thymus Chest. 2003 Jul;124(1):141-6.
- Negri F, Musolino A, Cunningham D, Pastorino U, Ladas G, Norman A. Retrospective study of resection of pulmonary metastases in patients with advanced colorectal cancer: the development of a preoperative chemotherapy strategy. Clin-Colorectal-Cancer 2004 Jul, Vol: 4 (2), P: 101-6.
- Krasopoulos G, Dusmet M, Ladas G, Goldstraw P. Nuss procedure improves the quality of life in young male adults with pectus excavatum deformity. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2006 Jan;29(1):1-5.
- Noble J, Sirohi B, Ashley S, Ladas G, Smith I. Sternal/para-sternal resection for parasternal local recurrence in breast cancer. Breast. 2010 Oct;19(5):350-4.
- Hawkes EA, Ladas G, Cunningham D, Nicholson AG, Wassilew K, Barbachano Y, Ratnayake G, Rao S, Chau I. Peri-operative chemotherapy in the management of resectable colorectal cancer pulmonary metastases. BMC Cancer. 2012 Aug 1;12:326.
Tel: 020 7351 8567
Fax: 020 7351 8555