Background and training
Professor Timothy Evans completed a Medical Research Council Travelling Fellowship at the University of California, San Francisco, from 1984 to 86.
During his career, Professor Evans has held a number of positions on national committees and advisory panels relating to his areas of expertise, including:
- academic vice president, Royal College of Physicians
- vice dean, Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine
- lead fellow, Future Hospital Commission, Royal College of Physicians
- senior clinical investigator, National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).
Clinical expertise and teaching
Professor Evans has expertise in a variety of areas of intensive care and thoracic medicine, including:
- intensive care
- thoracic medicine
- clinical pre-operative assessments
- vascular biology of the critically ill
- research into acute respiratory distress syndrome.
Due to his extensive expertise, Professor Evans is highly sought after to speak internationally as a lecturer and visiting professor.
Published work and funding
As well as writing six books, Professor Evans is on the editorial board of the American Journal of Physiology and American Journal of Respiratory & Critical Care Medicine. He is editor-in-chief of the Future Hospital Journal of the Royal College of Physicians.
He is the author of more than 300 peer-reviewed papers, reviews and editorials, and has contributed 70 chapters to textbooks.
Since 1990, Professor Evans has raised over £10 million in research funds.
Read Professor Evans's article, published in the HSJ, "Pharma and the NHS: challenging, not cosy"