Royal Brompton Hospital
Royal Brompton has a long and distinguished history dating from 1841 when it was established on what were then the outskirts of London for tuberculosis sufferers. Over the centuries the city has expanded and the location is now a prestigious and cosmopolitan residential area.
The hospital was founded by Philip Rose as a charitable endeavour in the era before universal free healthcare. In its first decades it enjoyed support from the royal family and Charles Dickens, among others. Royal patronage has continued and our main building, the Sydney wing, was opened in 1991 by the Queen. The hospital was granted Royal Charter in the same year.
In the 1940s, after incorporation into the new National Health Service, the hospital began developing its expertise in heart conditions alongside the existing excellence in the treatment of lung disease.
Royal Brompton established Europe’s first adult cystic fibrosis clinic in 1964 and the hospital has grown into the largest treatment centre for the condition in Europe.
The Trust’s archives are now held at The Royal London Archives. If you are researching the Trust’s history or wish to find out more about our archives, please contact email@example.com or telephone 020 7377 7608.